Instascale is a newly invented, scale oriented instrument with only 16 keys to play with. But wait, is that enough? Turns out it's more than enough. Unlike the standard keyboard instruments where each key can only play a single note, Instascale has a set of smart keys, each one capable of playing different notes. The new note will be based on the given scale, last note's position and the action of the key assigned to it.
Instascale is available as a MIDI processor plugin that can be used in any DAW that supports VST instrument plugins (with MIDI routing) or AU MIDI effect plugins, given you the freedom to play any instrument you choose without any limitations regarding the sound and hardware.
What can I use it for?
• Learning. With all the scales included in the plugin and various information displayed on the interface, Instascale can be a valuable source to study and learn different scales and modes very quickly.
• Ear Training. Get familiar with the scales in different keys and modes without having to know how to play them. Train your ear to recognize intervals and distances quickly. Using the home feature you can stay on a certain note and see what feelings it creates compared to the other notes of that scale.
• Serious playing. Instascale might seem like a strange and unfamiliar instrument at first but don't be fooled, like any other instrument with enough practice and dedication you can play a kind of mind blowing music that you could have never done with any other instrument out there.
• Experimenting and getting inspired. Considering that you can never hit a wrong note with Instascale, just play random keys and get inspired by the unpredictable but musically pleasant results. Happy accidents always happen. You don't even have to use your MIDI keyboard, you can use your drum pad/kit, map the pads to the correct keys and start playing. You'd be surprised how cool it feels and sounds.
• Breaking the rules. The foundation of the plugin is based on doing things differently, knowing the rules first and then breaking them. So let it inspire you to go even further and find new ways to create music without limiting your mind to the concept of black and white keys and minor and major scales. The plugin guards the rules but lets you change them, bend them or break them. It lets you change the scale, root and home notes on the fly, do crazy runs, it even allows you to create your own experimental scales.
We are sure you will find Instascale fun to use whether it be as an educational tool to learn scales or expand your current knowledge, as an outlet for creativity, as a quick reference, or to be applied to your live set. Just like the creation of music, the possibilities within Instascale are endless and at your fingertips.